Over 40 children ages 5-18 participated in the Kingwood Crusaders Rugby Club’s youth clinic at its field in River Grove Park Saturday morning July 10.

The clinic was conducted by club players and is part of an overall effort to grow local rugby from the ground up. Harve Hulett, the club’s president, explained the clinic introduced fundamentals and gave the kids a chance to learn some of the basic skills of the game. Both boys and girls participated. The clinic included drills in ball handling and formations unique to rugby including “rucking,” “mauling” and “scrumming,” which are terms describing the various actions players take to keep control the ball during the course of the game.

“We are looking for more players. We want to attract young adults,” Hulett said. He explained many of the current players on the club have come from the original Kingwood High School club, now renamed the Lake Houston Rugby Club. The children attending this clinic came from everywhere in the area, including Summerwood to the south and New Caney to the north.

More information regarding the club, its schedules, social functions and information about joining the club is available on the club’s web Facebook page: facebook.com/KingwoodCrusadersRugby or by contacting the club via email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location