At the February meeting, the Kingwood Service Association (KSA) Parks Committee approved requests by its two Northpark recreation area baseball associations to make major improvements to the leased fields they each operate and maintain.

The adult softball league is replacing existing grass turf with a synthetic turf system which involves significant construction and drainage provisions including the use of decomposed granite added to the subsurface of the field. The group did not realize that the construction required KSA approval before beginning the construction in January. When KSA learned of the project in progress, they requested the construction to stop until a project description was reviewed and approved by the Parks Committee. Devone Monticone and Guy Trevino attended the meeting to answer questions about the specific details of the project before the committee granted approval.

“Where are we at and where is the project right now: complete, nearly complete, a week out?” asked KSA Parks Chairman Chris Manthei to the two softball association representatives.

“It’s near complete and we are probably a week out on it,” Trevino said.

“Originally, when they started the construction, there were some drainage issues coming off the field that weren’t finished. Have those been corrected? We don’t want to have any drainage problems,” said Manthei.

“The drainage has been corrected and there is no substantial drainage. We are just putting a crown on the infield so it will be able to drain correctly and with the turf, it is impervious, so the water is able to go through it. That way there won’t be much drainage,” said Trevino.

“Just to set the record straight, we were blindsided on this. All projects for all our sports organizations must receive KSA approval before proceeding with construction. We did not know anything about it so we asked you to stop until we could find out the details,” Manthei said.

The committee approved the project.

Kevin Allums then presented the Kingwood girls softball proposal.

“I submitted that request for a fence replacement in our larger field so we can match the rest of the fields,” he said. Allums explained the 12U (12-and-under) outfield fence has become unusable and has deteriorated to the point it is beyond repair and needs replacement.

“The fence is currently approximately 300 feet in depth. This distance is entirely too deep for our girls playing softball games. A passed ball is gone forever. It changes the game. A regulation high school fence is 200 feet deep. We think this depth would be much more appropriate for our use,” Allums said. He added the new fence would be increased in height from 4 to 6 feet to be exactly like the fence in the next smaller field, Field 3, located by the batting cages. “This will keep balls in the park and prevent climbing,” he said. The committee approved the project. It is expected to be completed in time for the coming season.

KSA Parks Committee meetings are normally held on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location