Summer Creek High School’s softball team is starting their new season off on a high note as sophomore Jeralsilca “Jay” Albiter was chosen for the USA Elite Select 30 High School All-American Team.

Less than two weeks prior to launch of the 2020 season, USA Elite Select announced the Select 30 National Training Camp “Select 30 All-American Teams” which are chosen based on performance during the four-day training and competition at the camp. Albiter was selected as an infielder on the high school team.

“When I found out I was chosen for the All-American team,” Albiter said, “I was really excited, happy and proud of myself for such a great accomplishment. My first reaction was to tell all my friends and supporters by sharing [the announcement] on social media.”

According to Albiter, the training camp helped her to better her skills through foot placement and getting more power in her legs to further drive the ball. Albiter also commented on how “well organized” the training camp was run.

“Being chosen is such a great privilege,” Albiter said. “The 30 get to play in an All-American game to show off our skills and play against other All-Americans. The experience and the opportunity to be able to go to the S30 [training camp] was amazing. I got to work with the amazing pride players, and they were able to help correct me and make me a better athlete.”

The Select 30 National Training Camp was not the only source Albiter cited for helping her with her game. She also credited her parents, hitting coach, select coaches, high school coaches and the Summer Creek High School Softball Program. “The softball program for Summer Creek High School is amazing,” Albiter exclaimed. “We are all like a family and a great community. We help each other out, hold each other accountable, and motivate each other each and every day.

“What I like about the SCHS program is that, since we are like a family, I can go to any of my coaches for any help, whether it is academic or softball related. Summer Creek is really big on grades and keeping up with schoolwork. The motto is ‘You don’t pass, you don’t play,’” she said.

Albiter’s softball stats include a .443 batting average, 20 homeruns, 19 RBIs, and 1.209 OPS.

According to Albiter, in 2019 the SCHS Lady Bulldogs “made it to the playoffs and we were first in our district for the first time in history.” They were the 2019 District Champs, bi-district champs and area finalists. The 2019 overall record was 23-9-1 with a district record of 13-3.

Head Coach Gabe Castillo shared that consistency is one of the keys to their future success, along with “a strong defensive effort by everyone.”

“As we tell our players,” Castillo said, “each of you at some point in this season will be a playmaker, a game changer and role player.”

About the future, Albiter said, “I am looking forward to becoming a great athlete and a good role model for the younger athletes. My goal is to put myself in uncomfortable positions and be able to get through it, to better myself every day, not only in the classroom but on the field and at home.”

Albiter shared that her motivation is “to be the first in my family to go to college and to pursue a career that enables me to give back to my parents what they have given to me.”

She plans on getting a scholarship and majoring in medicine in order to become an orthodontist.

Albiter said that mantra for herself is “Do more, be extra and do more than the athlete next to me.”

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location