On the Saturday after Thanksgiving at NRG Stadium, two schools from Humble ISD, an old face to the playoffs and a new face, will meet two different Katy-area schools with the hope of moving within one game of the state tournament.

The familiar face, the Atascocita Eagles, clinched their fifth straight berth in the regional semifinals on Saturday with a convincing win. They jumped in front of Dickinson early and often, leading by 32 at one point and cruising to a 46-27 victory.

The Eagles wasted no time getting on the scoreboard, as D.J. Murchinson began the scoring with a 39-yard pick six; a two-point conversion made the score 8-0.

Four minutes later, the Eagles had tacked on two more touchdowns on a Dylan Robinson reception and a Quincy Thompson run. At one point, early in the third, the Eagles led 39-7.

The Eagles will meet Katy Tompkins at 2 p.m. Saturday.

Meanwhile, the newer kids on the block, the Humble Wildcats, hadn’t seen the playoffs since 2011 and hadn’t won a playoff game since 2010. But last Saturday against George Ranch, they found their second playoff win in as many weeks, 28-21 over George Ranch.

Though they trailed George Ranch at one point 13-0, Humble got momentum going in the second quarter on a touchdown run right before halftime by X’zavier Sidney.

Though down six, Humble carried the momentum into the second half, as they scored two touchdowns in the third quarter; the first was a touchdown from Dexter Wyble to Tavian Coleman for a 14-13 Humble lead.

Later, the Wildcats struck again on a double pass from Harper to Robert Williams, III. This touchdown, a 42 yarder, gave Humble a 21-13 lead.

Though the Longhorns would tie it early in the fourth, the Wildcats responded again; a 65-yard pass to Damarcus Crosby set up a 2-yard touchdown run by Sidney which ended up being the winning margin.

The Wildcats will face Katy Taylor at 6 p.m. Saturday at NRG.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location