Following a season which ended with the second state title in five years for the Huffman Hargrave Falcons softball program, the Falcons returned home to more district – and even state and national – honors.

It also capped a great year for Hargrave athletics, which saw multiple teams make their respective state tournaments.

On the all-district side, Falcons junior Katy Janes, who was spectacular throughout, took home the 21-4A District Pitcher of the Year.

In addition, two Hargrave players picked up first team district honors: senior outfielder Dez Cardenas and sophomore Hagen Pike.

Four Falcons players also grabbed second team all-district awards; three of these players will return to the program next season. Senior shortstop Allie Humphries took home a second team award, as did junior second baseman Andrea Hortch, junior third baseman Bella Reid and sophomore first baseman Christin Hagood.

Also, three Falcons took honorable mention awards; juniors Kenzie Gates, Kyndel Berard and Madison Anderson ended up with those honors.

On the national stage, Janes received another award after the Falcons won the state championship … Extra Inning Softball’s National Player of the Week award.

Janes earned that reward for how she performed in the state championship game, where she allowed just one hit and struck out 11. In that game, she also went two for three at the plate, which earned her the 4A Final MVP.

The softball win ended another great athletic year for the Falcons.

It was a year that saw both their cross country teams make the state meet, their boys golf team qualify for the state tournament, and their girls and boys mixed-doubles tennis teams qualify for the state tournament as well.

The Falcons also won multiple district championships in different sports.

In addition, individuals from the Hargrave girls golf team and the girls and boys track teams qualified for state.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location