Since losing a close game by a field goal to Katy in early September, the Atascocita Eagles football team has rolled through the rest of its schedule.

And on Friday night, they clinched an outright district title.

With a 65-21 victory over Humble at Turner Stadium, the Eagles won District 22-6A outright for the second year in a row.

Early on, though, the Wildcats, who came into the game at 5-4 and with nothing to lose, had intentions of playing spoiler as they recovered an onside kick.

Atascocita responded emphatically though, getting a three and out on defense.

Then, when they got the ball back, the Eagles scored on a 39-yard touchdown pass from Brice Matthews to Carrington Wooden. A two-point conversion put the Eagles up 8-0. Humble got one first down on the next series, but couldn’t do much else with it, and then Atascocita used a quick strike offense to score again.

A pair of big plays by wide receiver Landen King, a 20-yard reception and a 35-yard pass reception, set up a Matthews 1-yard touchdown run. The Eagles were up 14-0 after a two-point try fell short.

The Eagles eventually scored touchdowns on their first seven possessions to put the game out of reach, including three by sophomore running back Quincy Thompson. Humble did score three late touchdowns after the game was out of reach. The Wildcats finish the year at 5-5.

Atascocita juniors Dylan Robinson (left) and Darius Edmonds, both wide receivers, show their district championship T-shirts after the Eagles win over Humble Friday at Turner Stadium.

SUMMER CREEK

While the Bulldogs didn’t claim at least a share of the district title, they finished strong with a 42-13 win over South Houston, eliminating the Trojans from any playoff contention. The Bulldogs head into the playoffs at 7-3.

This week, the playoffs begin with the bi-district round. The Bulldogs will square off with C.E. King Thursday night at Turner Stadium, while the Eagles take on Channelview on Friday, also at Turner Stadium.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location