With the 2018 high school football season about to begin, the Humble Rotary Club held its annual Humble ISD Football Coaches luncheon on Aug. 22.

President Danny Contreras opened the meeting by saying, “This is my favorite luncheon of the year, so I am going to make my announcements brief so we can get Troy and his coaches and players up here.”

Following the announcements, Troy Kite, the Humble ISD athletic director, announced the “State of the District” as the football season begins.

“I’ve done this … for 11 or 12 years in a row and every year the kids seem to be getting bigger and bigger. If you did not get your food [from the buffet], you better hurry up, because there is not going to be a lot left when they get done with it,” he joked.

Kite then reminisced about the situation just one year ago with the entire community reeling from Hurricane Harvey and the school district finding itself with Kingwood High School (KHS) completely closed for the year. He highlighted sharing the Summer Creek High School facility with KHS and how things are now going back to normal.

He also spoke about how the district has started working on its many bond projects approved last spring, saying, “One of the first things we did was to turf the fields at all of our high schools, so we are in the midst of that.”

Kite said that the fields were not yet completed due to contractor delays.

“All of the fields were supposed to be done by Aug. 6. We have one that is done and it is not acceptable because we are redoing the track,” he said, noting how important those fields are, not only the football teams but to the operation of the entire school curriculum. He pointed out that marching bands use them constantly while other sports, ROTC, activities and presentations are conducted on them throughout the year. “By October I am sure we will have beautiful fields everywhere.”

Kite said, “Football is special because it brings everyone together at once,” pointing out that the entire community comes together, participating by attending and following the games more than any other activity.

Of Humble ISD, he said, “We don’t put winning at all costs. We want to win and winning is a lot of fun for everybody but we are not going to sacrifice the details. We are not going to sacrifice our expectations for our kids in the classroom or out of the classroom in order to get those wins. We win when we win in the right way. Last year was probably our most successful year in athletics that we have ever had across the board.”

Kite pointed out that HISD high schools had teams go to regional and state playoffs in softball, baseball, football and volleyball. “That does not come from just coaches. That does not come from just our kids. It comes from our community,” he said.

Each of the five high school coaches were called forward to say few words about their teams and introduce themselves and their accompanying players.

Kingwood Mustangs Coach Barry Campbell said, “We are excited to be back. The first day of practice I said, ‘Hey, enjoy this, you never know if it’s going to be the last one. We may not come back for a year!’ We really appreciate being back on campus. It has been a good last week and a half. We are scrimmaging tomorrow evening against Conroe.”

Kingwood Park Panthers Coach Clayton Maples said, “I just want to let you know how excited we are about this season. The guys have been working hard and we have a good defense.”

Humble Wildcats Coach Charles West said, “I’ve been here six years and this district took me in like family. This year we are moving up to District 6A, so that has been all the talk around the school. We give it everything. We are excited. We are ready to go. This week we scrimmage Channelview here.”

Atascocita Eagles Coach Craig Stump said, “We are basically a young football team this year. We have a lot of juniors. Five or six seniors will be starting and the rest will be juniors. We start with a scrimmage against the Woodlands.”

Summer Creek Bulldogs’ first-year coach, Kenny Harrison, said, “I’m from Port Arthur, where I coached the last 20 years, nine as a head coach. My life-long dream job was to coach Port Arthur football and I had the opportunity to do that. When the Summer Creek job became available, I did my research and, like Coach West said, this is like family. I like the atmosphere here in Humble ISD and I told my wife, ‘Hey, I think this is an opportunity for all of us.’ It is one of the top school districts in the State of Texas, it’s a family atmosphere and the way I coach and feel about football, I’m all in. What you will see from Summer Creek is you will see kids playing hard week in and week out. We have a great program right here in Humble and I am excited about being here; I’m fired up about being here.”

Kite and Contreras concluded the program by urging everyone to attend and enjoy the upcoming football season.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location