This past weekend at the University of Texas at Austin, athletes from around the state, including various area schools, competed for top honors at the UIL State Track and Field meet.

AHS sprinter Winter Bogan placed second at state in the 100 meter hurdles.

Athletes from Kingwood, Humble, Huffman Hargrave, Summer Creek and Atascocita competed in the meet, and in a number of cases, took home a state title.

One of the area schools with great representation was Atascocita; the Eagles put four different athletes into the state meet, in the girls’ 3200-meter run, the boys’ 800, the girls’ 100-meter hurdles and the boys’ triple jump.

Of those four, two individuals took home state championships. Christian Gilmore won the state title in the 800, with a time of 1:52.56. In addition, Travian Blaylock won the state title in the boys’ triple jump at 50 feet, 7 inches.

Summer Creek also had a number of athletes in the state meet, with the highlight being the 4x100 meter dash. In that race, the team of Roxane Adama, Dynasty McClennon, Tianna Randle and Beyonce Dotson finished third with a time of 46.37.

In addition, Randle finished sixth in the 100 dash with a time of 11.74, and McClennon finished fourth in the 400 meter at 55.57.

Kingwood, meanwhile, had two individuals participate in the meet, in Carter Storm and Garrett Carswell.

Carswell, though he didn’t finish in the top two of his event, qualified by having the fastest third place finish of all four regions for the boys’ 300 hurdles.

In those events, both individuals performed very well. Carswell took seventh in the boys’ 300 hurdles, and Storm finished third in a very tight 1600 meter, with a time of 4:14.83.

Humble had athletes in the girls’ 100-meter dash, boys’ 200 dash, and the boys’ 4x100 relay.

Arianna West took seventh in the girls’ 100 dash, while Jordan Booker had a very strong showing; he finished third in the boys’ 200 dash, and was part of the Wildcats’ 4x100 relay team which finished seventh.

Huffman Hargrave also had two individuals who made it to Austin, in the boys’ 1600, and the girls’ 400 dash.

Peyton Pluenneke finished eighth in the boys’ 1600 with a time of 4:32.94, while Solley Destiny finished ninth in the girls’ 400 dash with a time of 59.34.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location