For a number of years, the Kingwood Park Panthers girls’ soccer program had been knocking on the proverbial door, trying to get to that next level.

Twice in coach Jess White’s tenure, the Panthers had made it as far as the regional semifinals, but no further.Twice in coach Jess White’s tenure, the Panthers had made it as far as the regional semifinals, but no further.

This past weekend, the Panthers, to paraphrase the late Bum Phillips, kicked the door in and will now play in the state tournament for the first time ever.This past weekend, the Panthers, to paraphrase the late Bum Phillips, kicked the door in and will now play in the state tournament for the first time ever.

The magical weekend for the Panthers began on Friday night with a regional semifinal matchup against Cedar Park.The magical weekend for the Panthers began on Friday night with a regional semifinal matchup against Cedar Park.

In that match, Allie Byrd’s first two goals put the Panthers up 2-0, but Cedar Park stormed back with three of the next four goals to force overtime.In that match, Allie Byrd’s first two goals put the Panthers up 2-0, but Cedar Park stormed back with three of the next four goals to force overtime.

That was where Byrd came up big once again as she netted her third goal of the game, a hat trick, with about a minute left in the second overtime period for a 4-3 Panthers win.That was where Byrd came up big once again as she netted her third goal of the game, a hat trick, with about a minute left in the second overtime period for a 4-3 Panthers win.

That win by the Panthers set up a regional final meeting with Tomball; in that one, Byrd stood out once again, as she tallied an assist on Leah Hoyt’s goal which put the Panthers ahead.That win by the Panthers set up a regional final meeting with Tomball; in that one, Byrd stood out once again, as she tallied an assist on Leah Hoyt’s goal which put the Panthers ahead.

Then, right before halftime, Byrd scored her fourth goal in 24 hours, this one on a penalty kick.Then, right before halftime, Byrd scored her fourth goal in 24 hours, this one on a penalty kick.

It turned out to be the decisive goal as Tomball scored once in the second half, but no more as the Panthers held on for a historic 2-1 win

In the regional semifinals, the Panthers will face off with Frisco Wakeland.In the regional semifinals, the Panthers will face off with Frisco Wakeland.

Wakeland is also coming off two thrilling victories; after beating Joshua in overtime, they knocked off defending state champion Highland Park in penalty kicks.

The winner of that semifinal will meet the winner of Alamo Heights and Grapevine to crown a new state champion.

For more information on the game and tickets, call the Humble ISD Athletic office at 281-641-8130.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location