The construction and fundraising for the $4.8 million Insperity Adaptive Sports Complex is nearing completion with the grand opening and dedication now set for Sept. 16. The sports complex is a collaborative partnership between the YMCA of Greater Houston and Humble ISD.

The Insperity Corporation is the lead donor, making it all possible with a contribution of $1 million over a five-year period in support of the ongoing operation. The complex will give all children in the community a chance to benefit from the exercise, energy, stress release, and the pure enjoyment of friendships built by playing sports. It will serve as a hub for Humble ISD's integrated athletics programs and the Lake Houston Family YMCA will operate its Miracle League baseball and other adaptive programs there.

“We’re excited to see the adaptive sports complex come to fruition due to the commitment and tireless efforts of numerous community leaders and contributors. This facility, designed to serve the needs of children with disabilities and their parents, will play a significant role in the Greater Lake Houston area to make a difference in the lives of others,” said Jay Mincks, Insperity executive vice-president of sales and marketing.

The complex is a 5-acre acre facility located within the Humble ISD’s River Grove site located in the southern part of Atascocita in The Groves subdivision. It is located between Humble ISD’s brand new Groves Elementary School at 11902 Madera Run Parkway and a middle school under construction and planned to open at the beginning of the 2018-2019 school year.

Two specially outfitted softball fields will be laid with a synthetic surface, striped for softball, but able to be adapted into other sports field configurations. Because the field surfaces will be built with special synthetic material, they will be usable in wet weather, can be easily dried off and the complex will never be closed due to muddy or slippery, wet weather conditions. Included are team dugouts with hand holds that will accommodate wheelchairs and other special needs such as walkers. Many other additions to the park will also be included.

A pavilion accommodates concessions, storage areas and a small office. Just behind the pavilion, a covered basketball court will be available for use by siblings of those actually playing softball or for wheelchair basketball games.

Also included will be an adaptive playground area equipped with rows and ramps for wheelchairs and walkers so they are accessible to children with those special needs. In addition, there will be a sensory station for use by children with autism or other disabilities. The entire facility will have a synthetic rather than natural surface to make it safer and easier for maneuvering through wet conditions in wheelchairs and walkers and will be lighted for night use.

Joe and Cathy Cleary, Pat and Mark Koenig, Rick Byrd and Twila Clark are among the fully committed leaders making it all happen. Joe Cleary, of Harvey Cleary Builders, explained how the joint use arrangements will work between Humble ISD and the Lake Houston YMCA.

“The Lake Houston YMCA will have a use agreement with the school district. They will run it and use it for all their integrated sports,” said Cleary.

He added that when the middle school is built, that is typically when the school district’s special needs programs get under way, and the YMCA will coordinate routinely with the district to avoid schedule conflicts.

“The result will be full utilization of the complex six days a week and sometimes seven,” Cleary said.

As this story was going to press, the specific time and activities for the Sept. 16 grand opening were not yet confirmed. To find more information about the ceremony, driving directions and parking, the Lake Houston YMCA will have the information as soon it is known. Call 281-360-2500 for specific information.

Since you’re here …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading The Tribune than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Tribune's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location