After earning Mid-Season All-Star recognition with Midland of the Texas League, former Kingwood High School baseball standout Kyle Finnegan is one step away from the Major Leagues.

Finnegan, a right-handed pitcher who earned first-team all-district honors in leading the Mustangs to a 27-7 mark and a 2010 district championship in his senior year, has made it to the Triple-A level with the Oakland A’s organization after the club drafted him in the sixth round out of Texas State University in 2013.
Finnegan, 25, was elevated from Double-A Midland, where he made 23 appearances this season, all in relief and posted a 3 ERA, striking out 27 batters over 30 innings, to Triple-A Nashville of the Pacific Coast League.
Making his debut with Nashville on June 27, Finnegan came out of the bullpen to throw 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief against Round Rock. He yielded two hits, struck out one and did not walk a batter.
In his fifth season in the Minor Leagues, Finnegan has found a home in the bullpen after beginning his professional career as a starter. But the career-high tying 24 starts in the 2015 season were his last. The following season he worked 43 games out of the bullpen and posted an impressive 2.54 ERA with seven saves and 69 strikeouts over 63 and two-thirds innings.
Though not part of the Oakland A’s spring training this season, Finnegan did get called up from Midland to pitch a game for the A’s. He awaits the next call to the Big League team.

Before you go …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading The Tribune than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Tribune's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location