In a huge weekend in which both the Kingwood Park Panthers baseball and softball teams  played tough, tight games, one team saw its season ended while another continues on.

On the baseball side, after dispatching Lumberton in a one- game playoff, the Kingwood Park Panthers took on the Tornadoes of Galveston Ball, and battled hard in both games.

In fact, the first game was a classic pitcher’s duel, in which Kingwood Park’s pitching was spectacular.

Unfortunately for the Panthers baseball team, Galveston Ball is moving on, thanks to a 1-0, 10-inning win last Thursday night and then a 6-2 win Friday in Galveston.

In the Thursday night game, Kingwood Park starter Peyton Lero was spectacular. He went nine innings, allowing just four hits and three men in scoring position. And, in five of his last seven innings, he set the Ball lineup down in order.

However, the Tornadoes were able to keep the Panthers away from that one big hit, even though Park put two men on in both the eighth and ninth innings.

Then, in the 10th, Austin Lawrence’s triple put Ball ahead for good, and the Panthers went down in order in the bottom half.

In the second game, Ball jumped on Garrison Taska and the Panthers early, and Dylan Whitehurst pitched a complete game as Ball won 6-2 to advance to play Crosby in the next round.

However, while one team’s season ended, another continues.

The Panthers softball team advanced this past weekend, this time to the 5A Region III semifinals for the first time ever, and it advanced with a series win over Crosby.

After the teams split the first two games in Kingwood Park, the third game was a tight pitcher’s duel.

And fortunately for the Panthers, Ronni Grofman was on the right end of it. Her two hit shutout led the Panthers to a 1-0 win. The Panthers now face Willis in the regional semifinal round.

Before you go …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading The Tribune than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Tribune's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location