The Humble Wildcats baseball season came to an end against the Port Neches-Groves Indians in game two of the bi-district playoffs. Humble fell 12-9 the match.

The senior-loaded Wildcats helped bring the playoffs back to Humble and showed fight until the very last out.

The Indians started off the best two-of-three series with a 2-1 win at Port Neches-Groves, setting up a scenario where Humble had to win twice at home to advance.

Early on, it looked like PN-G would dominate game  two, held on Saturday, May 6. The Indians scored four in the second on RBI base hits by Jacob Vaughan and Logan LeJeune for a 4-0 lead after two.

They added four more in the fourth, including three runs after two were out, one in the fifth and scored three in the seventh for a 12-3 lead.

As it turned out, the Indians needed every last one of those runs because with the hourglass almost empty on the season, the Wildcats made one last rally.

After one out, the Wildcats put two on, and then Avery George made it 12-4 with a single. Khalil Robinson added a sacrifice fly to make it 12-5, and Humble kept coming even though down to their last out.

After a PN-G pitching change, Nate Johnson and Chase Garcia drew bases loaded walks, and then Anthony Villareal drove in two more to cut the lead to 12-9.

In fact, the Wildcats got the winning run to the plate with the bases loaded, but Tyrese Clayborne flied out to center field to end the game, and the season.

Humble was one of three Humble ISD teams eliminated in the bi-district round, as Atascocita and Summer Creek fell to La Porte and Deer Park, respectively. Kingwood advanced to play Clear Springs, while Kingwood Park advanced to play Galveston Ball.

Before you go …

… we’ve got a small favor to ask. More people are reading The Tribune than ever. Advertising revenues across the media  spectrum are falling fast. And unlike many news organizations, we haven’t put up a paywall – we want to keep our journalism as open as we can. So you can see why we need to ask for your help. The Tribune's independent, investigative journalism takes a lot of time, money and hard work to produce. But we do it because we believe our perspective matters – because it might well be your perspective, too. If everyone who reads our reporting, who likes it, helps to support it, our future would be much more secure. Support the only locally owned, locally produced news product in the Lake Houston area.  And thank you!

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location