The Kingwood High School baseball team used a solid pitching to shut out two District 21-6A opponents last week and remain unbeaten in league play.

The Mustangs improved to 4-0 in the district (15-2 overall) on Friday after Tre Richardson came through with a two-out, two-run double in the top of the ninth inning to produce the game's only runs in a 2-0 win at North Shore. 

It was enough to give Masyn Winn the victory. Winn struck out 12 batters over eight innings of work. Cameron Hoff came on to slam the door and preserve the shutout with an inning of relief work.

Earlier last week, Kingwood blanked Channelview, 5-0, in a home game. Cody Lancaster went the distance for the Mustangs, throwing the complete-game, two-hit shutout while striking out eight.

Kingwood broke open a scoreless tie with three runs in the third inning and then tacked on two more in the fifth.

The Mustangs return to district action this week  on a six-game win streak. They host Summer Creek on Tuesday before visiting Baytown Sterling on Friday. Both games are scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. Kingwood has won 10 of its last 11 games.

The Mustangs start this week with a one-game lead on Atascocita (3-1). Then there's a logjam for third place with four teams all tied with identical league marks of 2-2. That group includes Summer Creek, North Shore, Channelview and Goose Creek Memorial.

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location