After an ominous start to the District 21-5A baseball season thanks to a pair of losses to Kingwood Park, the Humble Wildcats baseball team has rebounded.

Rebounded well enough, in fact, that the team’s hopes for the playoffs are very much alive and well.

After last Friday night’s 11-10 roller-coaster win at home over Splendora, which extended their win streak to five, the Wildcats now sit at 5-2 in district play, tied for third with New Caney.

Unlike Tuesday night’s 2-1 Humble win at Splendora, runs were plentiful in the rematch on a windy Friday night in Humble.

Humble started out of the blocks quickly as they scored three in the first, three in the second and when Avery Sheldon doubled home three in the third, the home Wildcats led 10-3 and seemed in control. Alex Caballero also had five RBI’s in Humble’s early 10 run barrage.

The home Wildcats added another run in the fourth on an Anthony Villareal sacrifice fly, and it turned out they would need every last run.

That’s because the visiting Wildcats refused to surrender. Splendora scored three quick runs in the fourth, and when Dalton Smith clubbed a three run home run in the fifth, the visiting Wildcats were back in the game down just 11-9.

They added another home run from Kam Levis in the sixth to cut the lead to one, but Splendora got no closer.

After Humble got out of the sixth inning with its one run lead, Sheldon came in for the seventh and got Brody Peachee to pop out, Dustyn Millican to fly out to center and Shane Sanders to ground out to end the game.

Humble returns to action this week for a home-and-home with the Dayton Broncos; they host Dayton Tuesday night in Humble, then hit the road to play the Broncos Friday.

Bryan Kimbro
Author: Bryan KimbroEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am a sixth-generation Texan and lifelong Houstonian. I have held various positions at The Tribune since beginning in 2009. I am currently pursuing my master's degree in professional writing at the University of Houston.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location