Even though the 2016-17 basketball season did not net another trip to the state tournament for Atascocita’s boys basketball program, by and large, the Eagles have a lot to be thankful for.

Despite losing much of their roster from the 2015-16 team that went undefeated until the state title game and losing eight games before the calendar flipped to 2017, the Eagles won District 21-6A with just one loss.

They then won three games in the playoffs before losing to eventual state champion Cy-Falls.

That success was once again reflected in the 21-6A All-District awards.

For the third straight year, Eagles coach David Martinez took home 21-6A Coach of the Year honors. It’s his fourth straight district crown and his sixth in the last seven years.

The district’s MVP award went to an Eagle once again; the previous two years, current Purdue University starter Carsen Edwards won the award. This year, it went to University of Houston signee Fabian White.

To boot, Joe Rollins took home Newcomer of the Year honors, making it a clean Eagle sweep of the top three district awards.

Rollins was also nominated for the district’s first team, along with junior Kobe Wilson. In addition, junior Devin Harrison was named to the district’s second team.

The Kingwood Mustangs had solid representation in the awards as well, reflected in their play this year; they finished second in 21-6A behind the Eagles, snapped Atascocita’s 53-game district win streak and won two playoff games.

Most notably, it was two Kingwood seniors who took the top awards as Brandon Burrell and Chase Lovins, the man who hit the game-winning shot against Atascocita, took home first team honors.

In addition, junior Matt Charles took home a second team selection.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location