Samuel LeBus, a junior at Kingwood High School, home of the Mustang golf team, scored a hole-in-one during a tournament two weeks ago at Lake Conroe.

As the high-school golf season gets underway, KHS is already triumphant with this accomplishment.

“After I got my hole-in-one, I was stunned. At first, I couldn’t believe that it had happened. The shot I hit felt solid like I had done something right, and it was right on line with the pin. My thought was ‘Oh, it’s going to be close to the hole. I hope I can make a birdie’ but then as the shot got closer, my thought was ‘Wait, this has a chance to go in the hole,’” said an ecstatic LeBus.

It’s been usually reported that during most amateur  events, typically clubbing a hole-in-one during a single day of a tournament is roughly a 1 in 32 chance.

“If you believe in yourself and work hard enough, good things will come. I apply this to all aspects of my life, whether it be in school, with friends, at the gym, or playing golf. It constantly reminds me to have confidence and to put in the effort in everything I do in order to achieve beneficial results,” said LeBus.

LeBus moved to Kingwood last year from Canada, and has been coached by Coach Jeff Bellnap for about a year and a half.

“I’ve been playing golf since the fourth grade in 2010, so for about seven years. Before golf, I played baseball and did swim team, and I also ran track and cross country alongside golf later on,” he said.

“Sam is a great kid and in the National Honor Society,” said Bellnap, with 14 years of experience under his cap. He uses positive reinforcement with his team and thinks very highly of both his boys and girls teams. 

Bellnap grew up in Kingwood and graduated from Sam Houston. His daughter plays on the girls golf team.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location