After a long, grueling two-month pre-season slate, the Atascocita Eagles boys basketball team wound up their pre-district slate in a familiar setting.

That setting was Kingwood High School for the Insperity Holiday Classic where, although they didn’t take home the title, the Eagles were very competitive in the tournament.

In the first game Dec. 27, the Eagles faced off against the Eastern Hills Highlanders. In a game that featured long, extended runs, the Eagles broke out of the gate with a 20-6 lead, saw the lead dwindle to two points early in the second half, then pulled away again for a 61-52 victory.

In the second game of the day for the Eagles, they faced off against the Panthers of Cy-Springs. This one was a decisive win from the start as the Eagles broke out of the gate 9-0, led 34-15 at halftime, and eventually won 70-48 to advance to the semifinals.

In that game, Eagles standout center Fabian White scored 31 points, 21 of which came in the second half of play.

Dec. 28 saw two close games and two tough defeats for the Eagles. The first came against the Yates Lions. The Eagles, as they did in the previous two games, raced out to a quick lead, this time 25-16 after one quarter.

Yates however came back to take the lead 38-37 at half which set the stage for a tight, close second half.

In the end, Jock Hughes led the Lions with 24 points, and Kobe Wilson missed a game-winning three at the horn and Yates beat the Eagles, 75-73.

The second game saw similar heartbreak; it was the third-place game against Lamar and like the matchup with Yates, it came down to the final moments.

This time, White missed the back half of two free throws in the closing moments and Lamar hung on for a 68-67 win.

Since then, the Eagles have started district play with three consecutive wins, against North Shore, Summer Creek and Baytown Sterling to open District 21-6A play.

Erich Eisenach
Author: Erich EisenachEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
I am proud to be this area’s Tribune Newspaper voice for Humble, Atascocita, Kingwood, Kingwood Park and Summer Creek High School athletics, a capacity I have served in since the fall of 2011. High school sports are something I have grown to love since I started in this position, watching young kids live out their dreams in competition throughout the area and throughout the state. My greatest thrill in this position was being on Floor Eight at NRG Stadium in December of 2016 when Atascocita High School qualified for the state football semifinals for the first time. Aside from reporting sports, I am a regular parishioner of St. Martha Catholic Church of Kingwood. I am also a two-time graduate of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s College of Journalism and Mass Communications, and am a proud, but realistic, Nebraska Cornhuskers supporter. I do root for Houston’s local sports teams, but the Huskers are my team forever.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location