My earliest memories of playing a team sport were at the age of 7, playing coach-pitch baseball in Corpus Christi. Our uniforms were T-shirts with iron-on transfers as team names and numbers, a mesh hat and blue jeans. Despite what would be called primitive at best in today’s sport scene, there was still a lot to learn at such a young age. One of the most important lessons to learn was that of teamwork. In a world that flaunts individuality, the idea of working as a team has become a lost art. Community sports encourage teamwork by teaching important communication skills, creative thinking and valuing the talents of other members. All of which are character traits that will carry significant weight as they progress through life. My favorite lesson is perseverance and discipline. I remember playing on a football team as a third-grader, and it was miserable. We lost every game, only scored one touchdown and I wanted to quit three weeks into the season. My mother refused to let me quit, telling me that I committed to it and had to see it through. Those words have helped mold me into the person I am today. Community sports teach our kids that there are times when there is only one winner. There are times when we learn more by surviving through a tough season versus easily coasting through a winning one. They teach us the importance of respecting our opponents and authority figures. They show us there is value in commitment, even when a trophy might not be within our grasp. These traits emphasize a much greater lesson that is all but forgotten in today’s environment marked by instant gratification; the journey is more valuable than the destination. Community sports reinforce the necessary character traits that will carry our young generation through this journey and those that will await them in the future. I want to encourage you to participate in the lives of your children and others by participating in the various sporting avenues throughout our great community.

Comments (1)

This comment was minimized by the moderator on the site

Describe a current event
If you're unsure of what topic to choose for your narrative essay, one option is to write about a current event. This type of essay will focus on a paper writing help event that has affected your life or the lives of...

Describe a current event
If you're unsure of what topic to choose for your narrative essay, one option is to write about a current event. This type of essay will focus on a paper writing help event that has affected your life or the lives of others. You can start by providing background information about the event, but make sure to also analyze, interpret, and explain its significance.

Read More
billy
There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location