On Monday, April 23, 2007 Connie and Larry Jones will host the Zach Jones Memorial Fund Golf Tournament. The tournament honoring the memory of their son will be held at Walden on Lake Houston Golf and Country Club, located at 18100 Walden Forest Drive in Humble. In the spring of 2006, the couple lost their son, Zach, who had contracted rabies from a bat while napping in his room by an open window. “He was a wonderful teenager,” said his mother. “He was an excellent student and always gave 150 percent.” She said that at the time, she knew nothing about rabies. The Joneses did not think that Zach was bitten so they trapped the bat in a dish towel and tossed it out the window. “If I knew then what I know now, I would have been more careful,” she said. She was not aware that it could take four to six weeks before a person who contracts rabies shows symptoms and that it is critical that they begin treatment immediately. She and her husband are trying to use the tournament to help raise awareness about the disease as well as honor their son's life. Jones said that 144 golfers have already committed to slots, which will be the maximum to golf at Walden. Supporters continue to sign up and 72 additional slots have been filled in Atascocita. The golf tournament offers a day of sport, celebration and giving. Registration and a putting contest begin at 11 a.m. At 1 p.m., there will be a box lunch and a shotgun start. Dinner and the auction will begin at 5:30 p.m. Zack is described as a teenager who demonstrated a strong sense of dedication to his studies and athletics. The money raised through the tournament will go to a scholarship fund that will benefit a 2007 senior. Had Zack's life not been cut short, 2007 would have been the year of his graduation. Winners of the scholarship will be nominated by Humble ISD teachers and counselors and applicants will be judged on an essay. The topic of the essay has not been selected at this time. Those interested in remembering Zach can sign up to be a player, sign up as a sponsor, donate items for the auction or make a contribution at the Web site at www.zachjonesmemorial.com. For more information call 281-548-2449.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location