Super Bowl week festivities held downtown next week (Jan. 30-Feb. 5) are expected to cause major disruptions in traffic and parking. Prospective jurors should give themselves more time to get to the Harris County Jury Plaza, and some may end up paying much more for parking than during a typical week.
Some lots near the courthouse complex will raise prices significantly next week.
Jurors who have the option may want to take public transportation. The cost of parking in the county garage behind the Civil Courthouse (the 1401 Congress St. garage) will remain the same during the day. But the price will increase to $20 for those entering after 5 p.m. during Super Bowl week.
Information about how much some lots will charge next week during the day for parking may be found in a map graphic mid-way down on this site: http://www.housuperbowl.com/transportation.
Some lots between the courthouse complex and Minute Maid Park will charge $20 in the day.
Some parking lots may require motorists to move vehicles before the normal DCO workday ends. So staffers may want to figure out when they have to move a vehicle before they leave a parking lot.
Traffic is likely to be congested downtown, especially near Discovery Green and the George R. Brown Convention Center, where concerts and other events will be held.
Some of the roads that will be closed are:
- Polk between Austin and La Branch
- Dallas between Austin and La Branch
- La Branch between Walker and Bell
- Avenidas de las Americas, McKinney and Lamar around Discovery Green
If public transportation is not an option, Metro suggests motorists enter downtown on the following streets:
- From the Katy Freeway, Smith Street is the best exit
- From the East Freeway, San Jacinto Street will be the best exit
- From the Gulf Freeway, the Scott Street/St. Joseph’s Parkway exit is recommended
- From the Southwest Freeway, take the West Gray exit or Spur 527 and Louisiana Street
- From the Eastex Freeway, use the Jackson Street exit