Time is running out. On June 1, 2009 the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative goes into effect. U.S. citizens will now need to show an approved proof of citizenship to re-enter the U.S. from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean. Approved travel documents include a passport, passport card, enhanced drivers license or trusted traveler program card. Mexican and Canadian citizens face similar requirements. • U.S. Passport: This is an internationally recognized travel document that denotes a person’s identity and citizenship. It is accepted for travel by land, air and sea. • U.S. Passport Card: This is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a traditional U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land or sea. • Enhanced Driver’s License: Several state and the Canadian provinces are issuing this drivers license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea. • Trusted Traveler Program Cards: NEXUS, SENTRI, or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approve low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use by land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk. For a complete list of government-approved documents, visit www.getyouhome.gov.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

  1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location