The Lone Star College Small Business Development Center (LSC SBDC) has named its 2019 Small Business of the Year Award winners.
The award recipients, representing a variety of small businesses, were recognized at the LSC SBDC 33rd Annual Small Business of the Year Awards Luncheon held Nov. 13 at the Lone Star Community Building Star of Texas Ballroom.
“Small businesses accounted for 65% of new jobs in America,” said Miguel Lopez, LSC SBDC executive director. “The Lone Star College Small Business Development Center is proud to recognize all the small-business owners here today.”
The event included more than 270 guests and business owners who were welcomed by the LSC SBCD. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., LSC chancellor; Valerie Maher, lead economic development specialist, Houston U.S. Small Business Administration; and Linda Leto Head, LSC senior associate vice chancellor, External and Employer Relations also spoke on the importance of supporting small businesses in our community.
The 2019 33rd Annual Small Business of the Year awards were given to:
- Family-Owned: Boatman Construction, LLC (Shane D. Boatman and Shane B. Boatman)
- Minority-Owned: Sergio’s Landscaping Services (Sergio Martinez)
- Small-Business Owner: The Young Learners (Dan Altom, Debbie Kaschik and Ed Ziegler)
- Veteran-Owned: Abundant Health and Wellness Center (Dr. Polly Heil-Mealey and Stephen W. Hale)
- Woman-Owned: Spinal Care Chiropractic Center, P.C. (Dawn Schwab, D.C. and Lisa Rister, D.C.)
- Young Entrepreneur: Serenity Massage, PLLC (Jena Massie)
The LSC SBDC recognizes successful small businesses that make an impact in the local community each year. More than 114 nominees were submitted from the community and narrowed down to the 16 finalists. The finalists were selected by the members of the voting committee, a subcommittee of the SBDC Advisory Council, on the basis of leadership, entrepreneurial spirit, business growth and contribution to the community.