Replacement of two boardwalks in East End Park was the main order of business at the April 7 Kingwood Service Association (KSA) Parks Committee meeting. After years of normal wear and tear, two of the primary boardwalks in Kingwood’s largest park have aged and worn down to the point where replacement is needed. They are located on the park’s main trail as it goes from the parking area down toward the east fork of the San Jacinto River.

“Two of the boardwalks are in major need of repair or replacement. We need to replace the main boardwalk that goes through the marshy area of 1,100 feet and we want to replace a small boardwalk that is 150 feet in the middle of the trail in the meadow,” Dee Price said as she introduced three separate motions to be approved. The working group had recently sent out bids and specifications to four landscaping contractors to determine the requirements and costs to make it happen. All four companies came back with proposed bids and specific costs including the details behind the costs.

“We met and discussed the bids and have come up with three main motions for the Parks Committee to approve,” Price said. The first two were to approve the bids for two separate projects: one for each of the two board walks needing replacement. The working group recommended both boardwalk jobs be awarded to Arnold Landscaping for a total cost of $75,000 plus a contingency of up to $9,700 to cover unforeseen structural work, especially in the case of the boardwalk to be replaced through the marshy area. The authorized funding, including the contingency totals $84,700. A third motion was to request the KSA board approve $60,000 of the KSA Parks Improvement Funds to help cover the cost. The job exceeds the committee’s annual $25,000 for repair and maintenance routinely allocated in the annual operating budget for ongoing work. She explained this project is not a routine maintenance repair. It is a long-term improvement. As such it should qualify for use of specific improvement funds that KSA accrues over time but which the board of directors must approve for use when the Parks Committee recommends such projects.

Chairman Chris Manthei asked how the pricing in the Arnold Construction bid compared with the other bidders and what other factors besides cost were considered in making the recommendation.

“There was one (bid) that was way higher and one that was way lower and two that were pretty close together,” Price said. She explained she and the park stewards recommended Arnold Construction as one of the two bids in the middle because Arnold has done similar work of high quality for KSA in the past. Syd Furrow of Kings Point said he agreed, based on his past business experience, especially when there is an open question about the condition of substructure in projects like these.

“With the substructure a question mark, obviously having a contractor you trust plays a bigger role,” Furrow said.

“In the government, they call it best value,” Manthei said.

The committee agreed and unanimously approved the three motions as presented. The next meeting of the KSA Board of Directors is April 21. Once it approves the $60,000 request from the Parks Committee, the work can begin.

In other business Ethel McCormick of Kingwood Association Management, KSA’s administrative services company reported the feral hog activity reported in March.

“We had very few reports. They were all in Kings Point and the hogs were reported to be seen along Stately Oaks and along the area on the backside of East End Park,” McCormick said. She pointed out in addition to the five reported sightings, a total of five hogs were captured in March by the KSA hog hunters.

All the captures occurred in that same general area.

KSA Parks Committee meetings are open to the public and are held on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room.

However, due to COVID-19 they are expected to be conducted until further notice as a Zoom conference. Contact KSA at 281-358-5192 the day before the meeting to confirm it is a Zoom meeting and arrange for joining it.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location