At its Jan. 6 meeting, Dee Price of Sand Creek advised the Kingwood Service Association (KSA) Parks Committee that its KSA Parks Foundation was now set up administratively to manage the financial activity of Trees for Kingwood. As reported in The Tribune Dec. 8, this new, longterm, multi-organizational community program is being organized to revitalize Kingwood’s forested trails, parks and open spaces. In November, the Parks Committee agreed to participate and manage the program on behalf of its participating organizations which include The Kingwood Trails Association, representatives of Harris County Precinct Four, Congressman Dan Crenshaw’s office, Trees for Houston, the Humble Independent School District, the various Kingwood trails associations and several community homeowner associations. The existing Parks Foundation, which has been nearly inactive for several years, is a perfect organization, members say, for managing this type of nonprofit program.

“We deposited $2,000 on behalf of Trees for Kingwood and we will be keeping up with that for them,” Price said. She explained the $2,000 donation had been made by the Kingwood Rotary Club.

Price outlined how the foundation’s financial records were totally separate from those of the committee’s operating and reserve funds. She explained the specific Trees for Kingwood accounts were now established for managing Trees for Kingwood as a unique and separate program. She pointed out that, as has been routinely reported on a quarterly basis, there is $18,063.36 in the foundation’s other operating accounts. Because of the anticipated activity on behalf of Trees for Kingwood, the foundation’s financial activity will be reported on a monthly basis from now on.

Chairman Chris Manthei reminded the committee of his original request for help now that the foundation will be more active again. He is looking for volunteers to help administer it.

“I am always looking for additional (foundation) board members. Right now, it is just me and myself,” Manthei said. Price had previously pointed out Parks Foundation board members do not have to be members of the Parks Committee. Anyone interested in volunteering to help out should contact their village Parks Committee representative.

In other business:

Mark Zylker of Kingwood Alliance Soccer reported they are getting ready for the spring season. “Registration is going well,” he said and noted they are about to have their adult winter fun tournaments over the next two weekends beginning Jan. 8 at River Grove Park.

Charlie Childs, speaking for Brian Smith of the Kingwood Adult Softball Association, said they had a good fall season and final tournament. “Registration was good, and we’ll get the season started again Feb. 19, so things are going well.”

The committee also reelected by acclimation both its chairman and vice chairman for 2022. The chairman will continue to be Chris Manthei of Bear Branch. Dee Price of Sand Creek will continue to serve as vice chairwoman.

KSA Parks Committee meetings are open to the public and are normally held on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room. However, due to COVID-19 it is expected to be conducted until further notice as a Zoom conference. Contact KSA at 281-358-5192 the day before planning to attend to confirm it is a Zoom meeting and arrange for joining it.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location