The Riverside Project and Kingwood/Humble partners at the official launch of The Riverside Project in October of 2020. Mireya Scholes (Atascocita Community Church), left, Megan Mark (The Riverside Project), Amber Knowles (The Riverside Project), Cary Apel (Christ Church Kingwood), Chris Harrison (Kingwood United Methodist Church), Britani Davis (Loving Houston), Danielle Lopez Carlyle, Marla Wortman (One Love Collaborative), Kathleen Cowie (The Riverside Project). On screen background (Right to Left and Top to Bottom): Morgan Nichols (Christ Church Kingwood), John Soard (Holy Family Episcopal Church), Janet Lee (Humble ISD), Ashley Smalls (formerly, Department of Family and Protective Services)

Formerly known as Fostering Family, The Riverside Project is a collaborative initiative to equip churches and community leaders to effectively serve their vulnerable neighbors.

Amber Knowles, founder and executive director, worked as a pediatric nurse practitioner with a background in community health and school-based health care prior to creating Fostering Family, which is now undergoing a rebrand.

According to Knowles, The Riverside Project is a community of local churches, school districts, nonprofits and other stakeholders who serve vulnerable children and families in their neighborhoods.

“Foster and adoptive families, relatives who care for their loved ones and biological families who are impacted by the foster care system need the support of the community in order to heal and thrive,” Knowles said. “By working together to serve these families and connecting them to local resources, we believe we can disrupt cycles of brokenness in our community.”

“There are collaboratives of churches, school districts, nonprofits and stakeholders all across the city of Houston serving their respective neighborhoods!”

The Riverside Project is hosting an informational night with Humble ISD Counseling and Behavioral Services Department Jan. 25.

The basis for the meeting is to answer questions and provide additional time for questions. A sample of topics will be: What is the foster care system and how is it connected to other social issues affecting our community? What specific needs are there in the Kingwood/Humble area? What’s the process for becoming a foster parent and where can I go to learn more?

Additional topics include: I want to help, but I’m not interested or able to foster; how else can I help? I work with vulnerable kids and families in our community; how can I connect them to resources in the community?

The Riverside Project 2021 staff: Moiya Press-Jackson, left, Kathleen Cowie, Amber Knowles, Anna Kirby and Megan Mark

The Riverside Project’s Kingwood/Humble partners include Atascocita Community Church, Christ Church Kingwood, Family Promise Lake Houston, Holy Family Episcopal Church, Humble ISD, Kingwood United Methodist Church, Loving Houston, Woodlands Church-Atascocita, St. Mary Magdalene Catholic Church, United City Church and West Lake Church.

“We all want to be a part of a community where children heal and families thrive, but the complexity of brokenness affecting our city often leaves us feeling powerless to intervene,” said Knowles. “This meeting will provide information to help community members make a meaningful impact in the Kingwood/Humble area by serving vulnerable children and families. We will discuss general information about the foster care system as well as the many social issues connected to foster care. We will also share opportunities to get involved by becoming a foster parent, supporting a foster family or relative caregiver, becoming a mentor for a teenager in foster care and more. If you have any desire to learn about how you can serve children and families impacted by foster care in any capacity, come join us. We should not all do the same thing, but we can all do something!”

A video that explains The Riverside Project in more detail can be found at vimeo.com/652267687/eeb4800c99.

The Riverside Project informational night is scheduled for Jan. 25, 6:30-8 p.m. at the Humble ISD Business and Technology Center Building, 20200 Eastway Village Drive, Humble, in the board room.

For more information regarding The Riverside Project, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or call 713-202-3109.

Trilla Cook
Author: Trilla CookWebsite: www.trillastravels.comEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
A correspondent and travel writer for The Tribune for the past 10 years, I also enjoy writing for my blog at  trillastravels.com. I retired from Humble ISD and previously worked for the W.Va. Legislature. Please leave feedback at  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location