Dan Huberty

Good news for Fans of Dan.

As the Texas Legislature redistricts, redraws and “retweaks” congressional and state legislative boundaries, House District 127, as passed by the Texas House, “ … remains mostly the same,” according to State Rep. Dan Huberty.

That means that Huberty will continue to represent Lake Houston.

“We are still in Austin. It is the Groundhogs Day session it seems like,” Huberty said as he spoke virtually at Partnership Lake Houston’s Atascocita BizCom Oct. 14. “We are now in our third special session. We have been here since January. When people suggest this is a part-time job, they are very wrong.”

The House passed their version of the redistricting map and Huberty said the Harris County delegation worked together and he carried the amendment which keeps “127” intact. A small portion of Huffman will be moved to District 128 which is represented by Briscoe Cain.

There are changes, however, to Congressman Dan Crenshaw’s federal district.

“Our Congressman Crenshaw’s district will be moved over, picking up portions of Montgomery County, but his district will still include the Lake Houston area,” Huberty said.

Crenshaw currently does not live in the newly drawn district and, by law doesn’t have to, but Huberty said it was his understanding that Crenshaw would be moving into the district to run again.

Texas has received an additional $16 billion in federal funds, and Huberty says an amendment has been prepared to use those funds for “ … shoring up the Teachers Retirement System, tax revenue bonds for college campuses for infrastructure and things of that nature.”

This third session may be completed soon, and Tribune readers are encouraged to follow Huberty’s weekly newsletters that will summarize what the session accomplished.

“We did provide an additional $30 million in the regular session for dredging around Lake Houston,” Huberty said. “That is important because there are finger lakes within the Huffman and Atascocita area that have not been dredged.”

Commissioners Court allocated $10 million as well for this project.

“While we made it through this year without any major storms, we know it is just a matter of time before we have another. We want to be prepared,” Huberty said.

The Legislature also is dealing with controversial issues, he said, including an anti-vaccine mandate.

“I’m not sure of the status considering the limited time we have remaining,” Huberty said. “There are conflicting opinions on that. I understand that. I am one who believes that businesses should run their own businesses. I don’t need government as a business partner. I never have. Don’t want them now. So, we will see where that lands.”

Huberty encouraged voters to be aware of constitutional amendments that will appear on the November ballot.

“We will provide the partnership with information about what those constitutional amendments do so that the partnership can push those out to their members,” he said.

Tom Broad
Author: Tom BroadEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
Besides being a proud graduate of The University of Nebraska-Lincoln and, therefore, a Cornhusker, I am retired from Memorial Hermann. I am a correspondent and columnist for Lake Houston's hometown paper, The Tribune, as well as a director of the Lake Houston Redevelopment Corporation, a member of the board of the Humble Area Assistance Ministries, and Volunteer Extraordinaire for the Lake Houston Area Chamber.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location