At the Kingwood Service Association (KSA) parks committee meeting Sept. 2 Dee Price, park steward for River Grove Park, announced the long-awaited Houston city permit has finally been granted to rebuild the River Grove boat dock. Construction is about to begin.

“We actually have a good update on the boat dock. We did receive the permit,” Price said. She explained the contractor which was awarded the job when it was first authorized has been doing another job while waiting on the permit but advised Price that he is ordering the lumber and will begin work in about a week, as soon as he finishes his current job.

“And what’s the duration of the construction?” Committee Chairman Chris Manthei asked to get an idea about when the dock would be reopened and available to residents.

“I think it will be, at most, four weeks,” Price said.

“And how long did it take to get a permit?” Manthei asked. Both Price and Maryalice of Kingwood Association Management (KAM) who had worked on the permitting process confirmed it had taken three or four months.

In its other business the committee:

-Approved the 2022 Parks Budget. The approval followed a month of review by committee members and their homeowner associations of the original proposal put together by Price, serving as treasurer. After brief clarifications about allocations and amounts adjusted during the review process, the committee unanimously approved it for a total of $695,079, to be submitted for final approval to the KSA board of directors at its October quarterly meeting. It represents a 5.14% reduction compared to the current 2021 budget.

-Agreed to reattach the basketball rims and reopen the Deer Ridge Park basketball court immediately for use by Kingwood residents.

“I have asked the tow truck operators (that enforce parking by Kingwood K stickered vehicles only) to drive through there more often. Even if they just stop like they are looking at a vehicle, believe me it will flush out those who are not supposed to be parked there. That is a deterrent,” Ethel McCormick of KAM Management said.

-Indefinitely deferred the question of whether to make the Deer Ridge basketball court able to be cross utilized as a pickleball court. It will be considered as a separate request, not as part of a Deer Ridge Park security related issue, if requests to consider having a pickleball court located in any KSA park are received from residents or through their homeowner associations.

KSA parks committee meetings are open to the public and are normally held on the first Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room. Due to COVID-19 it is expected to be conducted in October as a Zoom conference. Please contact KSA at 281-358-5192 to confirm it is a Zoom meeting and arrange for joining it.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location