At its March 10 meeting, the Kingwood Service Association (KSA) Public Safety Committee, Ray Rhodes of Kings Point called attention to a little-known change made in 2019 to the City of Houston’s trespass affidavit policy.

“As you know, we have two lakes in King Point, and we have had trespass affidavits with the Houston Police Department for both of those lakes. I did not realize this until Monday, but it used to be that those affidavits were lifelong. They did not expire. But starting in the middle of 2019, the law changed; it was decided they would expire after 12 months so we found ourselves with no trespass affidavit,” Rhodes said. He pointed out if any other homeowners associations, trails associations, KSA, or even private property owners think they have trespass affidavit on file, they need to check to ensure they are being renewed annually. “Just make sure you have affidavits that are less than 12 months old,” he said.

Jesse Morales of the HPD explained the renewal requirement came down from Houston’s city attorney’s office.

“A lot of times managers and owners of businesses or property change. If we have something from five years ago, that information may not be up to date. If we were to use it to prosecute and arrest an individual and the owner says I did not even own that place any more, it creates serious issues with the district attorney’s office. To circumvent the problem, it was changed to be renewed in case of ownership changes,” Morales said. Public Safety Chairman Marshall Settegast confirmed Morales’s explanation based on his own memory of the situation.

“That came down from the D.A’s office. It did not start with the Houston Police Department, Settegast said and thanked both Rhodes and Morales for calling it to the committee’s attention and explaining the reasons behind it.

Dustin Hodges of Houston Mayor Pro Tem Dave Martin’s office made the following announcements on behalf of the City of Houston:

“If you still have storm debris that needs to be removed, call 3-1-1 or if your phone does not work with a three-digit number, call 713-837-0311 to request a need for debris pickup,” he said.

Regarding high water bills resulting from the water problems caused by the storm and power outages Hodges announced the Houston City Council is responding by having “spiked” water bills adjusted down to the average of the monthly water bills during previous months. The adjustments are appearing on the latest bills and if you had a water bill spike that has not been adjusted, it likely will be on the next bill. Otherwise, homeowners should contact the water department accounting office.

For those needing assistance with storm-related repairs and expenses, there may be additional help available. “Contact the Houston Harris County Winter Storm Relief Fund for help with repairs. Contact 2-1-1,” Hodges said.

In other business, HPD Officer Ayat Nichols summarized the Kingwood crime report:

“During the month of February, we had three aggravated assaults. For auto theft we had 10; two were forced entry, four were recovered, two trailers were stolen, one where the complainant forgot where she had parked her car (so it was not actually a stolen vehicle) and another one was by a 15-year-old son of the complainant.

“We had 11 burglaries of motor vehicles; seven were unlocked, two were forced entry and two were misreported.” Nichols said. She explained one of the misreported burglaries was a criminal mischief and the other was theft of the motor vehicle. In addition, she reported there were 11 criminal mischief reports, two road rage reports and one fraud case where the suspect conned the complainant out of $800 trying to sell puppies online. There were 19 thefts including four for shoplifting and 13 thefts of motor vehicles, including 13 catalytic converters.

“We had four robbery incidents; one at a Walgreens involving two suspects threatening employees with pistols and one at a CVS with two suspects. It appears these two incidents have the same suspects involved,” Nichols said. She explained the other two robberies each involved boyfriends and girlfriends in heated arguments. In each case, one took the other’s property, one a phone and the other a purse, and assault was also involved. The assaults division is working that case,” she said.

Questions of concern were raised by the committee about the armed drugstore robberies. Morales provided an update.

“Our robberies division is working it and are pretty sure the suspects are working their robberies citywide with multiple incidents in the 20 to 30 range. Without going into too much detail, they do have suspects they have identified but it is still an ongoing investigation,” Morales said.

The next Public Safety Committee Meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, April 14 at 7 p.m. at the South Woodland Hills Community Room, 2038 Shadow Rock. The public is invited to attend. Due to the current Covid19 situation, the public is encouraged to call the Kingwood Association Management office at 281-358-5192 a day or two prior to confirm if the meeting is still scheduled as planned or will take place as a Zoom teleconference.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location