The Kingwood Bike Patrol thanks Kingwood for its two new bikes.

A public comment at the Jan. 13 meeting of the Kingwood Service Association (KSA) Public Safety Committee triggered serious questions about safety conditions on Kingwood Drive, especially regarding crossover entries and exits to commercial areas on the side roads along the western end of Kingwood Drive.

“The other day by Aldi’s, somebody decided to go the wrong way on Kingwood Drive. They probably thought they were going the right way but 50 cars coming at you probably tells you otherwise. That’s like the third one I’ve seen in the last month in that area,” said resident Dave Labrix.

Labrix speculated that this may be happening because as drivers come out of the parking area, they cross the service road, but instead of crossing all the way over to the other side of Kingwood Drive, they immediately turn left into oncoming traffic.

“I think the problem is due to that feeder road right in that area. It is unique to Kingwood up to Steinmart. I see people sometimes when they come off that [parking area onto the feeder], they think they are coming onto one of the lanes of Kingwood Drive,” he said.

Another resident added that he thinks the situation has been getting noticeably worse, especially at the crossover of Kingwood Drive at the Walgreen’s drugstore that goes all the way across to the feeder road in order to get to the Aldi area parking lot. Another committee member noted some people are using the side road between Aldi’s and the now empty Steinmart to “feeder hop” on and off Kingwood Drive up to Chestnut Ridge and then sometimes go through the parking lot to Chestnut Ridge.

“That’s not the only area we have that problem. We’ve had reports of people east of West Lake Houston Parkway down in my area of Kingwood where people turn off Willow Terrace and end up in the wrong lane heading the wrong way and we’ve has some near misses,” Dee Price of Sand Creek said.

She explained that they have reported the situation to Dave Martin’s Houston City Council office, asking them to put in “Do Not Enter” signage on some of the crossovers.

In other business, the committee selected Marshall Settegast of Mills Branch as chairperson and Denise Krieger of Bear Branch as vice chair for the new year.

As the meeting closed, Commander Megan Hoard of the HPD Kingwood station asked to speak regarding the two new bike patrol bicycles and supporting equipment recently provided by the KSA.

“Thank you all very much for the donation. You all do a lot for us,” said Hoard, and advised that the station had sent over pictures of the patrol officers and their new bikes to the KSA office.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location