At its Zoom teleconference meeting Oct. 21, the Kingwood Area Super Neighborhood Council was briefed on two projects that will affect the look and public safety of Kingwood. Dustin Hodges of Houston Mayor Pro Tem Dave Martin’s staff announced the good news.

“We will be doing a kudzu vine removal pilot program. The test area is located on  Northpark Drive between Woodland Hills and West Lake Houston Parkway.” Hodges said.

The kudzu vine (Pueraria montana) is considered an invasive species in the south and is especially damaging to trees. If the pilot program is successful and cost effective, additional locations in the Kingwood area will be evaluated and identified.

“We are also finally starting our dead and dangerous tree removal. Both projects were scheduled to have commenced earlier in the spring but due to the pandemic had been delayed. The tree removal began Nov. 2,” Hodges said.

He explained that the removals will take place along the major thoroughfares in the Kingwood area. They will begin on West Lake Houston Parkway and eventually will be along both Kingwood and Northpark Drives. Urban Forestry will tag the trees along West Lake Houston Parkway with orange “X” markings for removal. The trees being marked for removal are dead, extremely unhealthy, and/or the most dangerous. The same tagging and marking will also occur on Kingwood and Northpark Drives once West Lake Houston Parkway is completed. The city’s contractor, Prime Trees, will remove the dead and most dangerous trees.

As a result of the removal activities, Martin’s office is asking residents to be aware of flagmen and orange traffic cones that will be put in place on site to help with traffic flow through the construction zones as the tree removal project will require one-lane closures. Two-way traffic will always be maintained. Businesses and residents will have access to driveways and sidewalks but may experience an increase in noise levels due to trucks and equipment in the area.

In other business, Stan Sarman reported on the progress of the Northpark Drive Mobility Improvement Project now that 60% bench mark planning reports have been issued.

“We are reviewing them and continuing to move forward with the acquiring of all the easements we need from the adjacent property owners. We have been a little more successful east of the railroad tracks and that is moving along a little quicker,” Sarman said. He explained that there have been some issues between Loop 494 and I-69 dealing with the Kingwood Place West Community Association.

“They have questions as to what the impact this would have on other properties for development,” Sarman said. He explained that he and the TIRZ No. 10 attorney, along with two other project representatives, had just met with three of the association’s board members to bring them up to date.

Bruce Olson
Author: Bruce OlsonEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I have been married since 1970 to Kerry, my best friend and a great Australian woman. I served and survived Vietnam in the U.S. Air Force. I fought forest fires in the summer while in college, where I earned a B.A. in economics from Oklahoma State University and an M.B.A. from the University of Texas. I retired from Continental Airlines. I have a son and two granddaughters in Kingwood, and a daughter and two grandsons on a farm near Mazabuka, Zambia. I am now enjoying life as a grandfather, Tribune correspondent and Humble ISD guest teacher when not traveling to Zambia or Australia.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location