Matt Cobb, David Shorey and Christian Mireles make up No Rehearsal.

Atascocita-based indie rock band No Rehearsal has been picking up steam. Back in January, the band applied for and was selected to play at Discovery Green during the Super Bowl Live event in downtown Houston. In October, the band played the Chevrolet Main Stage at the Texas State Fair. The band is comprised of Atascocita High School Class of 2015 alumni Matt Cobb (lead guitar/vocal), David Shorey (drums) and Christian Mireles (bass).

Cobb said the band applied and then auditioned to perform at Super Bowl Live.

“They were looking for 75 performers to highlight the diversity of Houston’s local talent, and [we made the cut]. We really enjoyed the experience. We met new people and were able to immerse ourselves in the Super Bowl festivities,” said Cobb. The band was able to use the funds they earned from the Super Bowl Live performance to purchase music studio time and record two new singles, “Can’t Stand It” and “Waiting.” The band has released three EPs to date: “Late in the Midnight Hour,” “Change of Heart,” and an acoustic version of “Late in the Midnight Hour.”

Cobb said that the band has had its current lineup since 2014, but was originally formed in 2009 with a different bassist and drummer. The first gig for the No Rehearsal band was back in 2009 at a middle school talent show. “Being 12 or 13, we didn’t really rehearse at all for the show and so as a joke, my mom said, ‘You should call yourselves No Rehearsal’ and that stuck,” said Cobb.

The band has varying levels of training, with Cobb having taken guitar and voice lessons for several years and attending Berklee College of Music in Boston for a year. Shorey was active in the school band in middle and high school and Mireles is self-taught. Cobb said he is the primary lyricist for the band, but their songs are becoming more collaborative as time goes on.

Their EP, “Change of Heart,” was recorded at Third Coast Recording Company in Kingwood. “‘Change of Heart’ is our most commercial EP and includes five singles. We had the EP mixed and mastered in Los Angeles by Eric Palmquist and John Greenham, who worked most notably with the bands Bad Suns and HUNNY. ‘Change of Heart’ contains our most popular songs, ‘Back to Fall,’ and ‘Can’t Stop’ (for which we just released a new music video),” said Cobb. The band’s music video for the song “Back to Fall” has garnered over 18,000 hits on YouTube.

The band is currently releasing all of its music independently and is hoping to relocate to Los Angeles in the future. Cobb said the band will likely release a new EP in March 2018.

Upcoming dates for the band include the Kingwood High School Music Department Benefit Concert at the Charles Bender Performing Arts Center on Nov. 11. For future tour dates and more information on the band, check out their website at norehearsalband.com.

Susan McFarland
Author: Susan McFarlandEmail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Columnist
I am a northerner by birth, but got to Texas as quick as I could more than a dozen years ago. I am very curious by nature and love peppering people with questions for Tribune stories. In my spare time I sell real estate, write my travel blog, and hang out with my family and my adorable Boston Terrier, Charlie. I cover local businesses, special interest topics, and area events.

Comments (1)

This comment was minimized by the moderator on the site

I Love the band "No Rehearsal" the Drummer David Stetson Shorey is my nephew. You Rock DJ - Love Auntie Eve from Boston.

Evelyn Lawson
There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location