Each year, members of the Humble Area Chamber of Commerce select an individual from the community to receive the Haden McKay Citizen of the Year award. Bill Shank, owner or Shank Wealth Management LLC in Kingwood, was presented with the award for 2006 from previous recipient, Larry Shiflet, during the Humble Area Chamber of Commerce Annual Awards Banquet held at the Humble Civic Center on Jan. 26. "It is my distinct pleasure and honor to present to you tonight the 2006 recipient of the Hadan McKay Citizen of the Year award. This person is an incredible example of leadership. He works tirelessly to improve the quality of life in this community," said Shiflet. "It's hard to believe, but I'm kind of speechless right now," said Shank. "I worked for a man when I first got out of college and he said you've got an opportunity for a good career, but you've got to give something back. He said if your community is going to take care of you, you've got to do the same thing. I learned a lot from that old gentleman and a lot of it has kind of guided the way I feel today. I want to thank the Chamber. The Chamber has always been a good friend to me. my business and this community. This Chamber takes care of the small business person in this community and gives them an opportunity to network and express yourself and be a part of the community. This Chamber cares about the community we're in. Thank you. It's an honor. I appreciate it and I am eternally grateful." Shank was born and raised in Jacksonville and graduated from the Texas Military Institute in San Antonio. Later he received a degree in finance from Texas Tech University. Shank has been associated with the Humble Area Chamber of Commerce for 11 years. He is a past chairman of the Board and has been involved in several projects throughout the community, including the Chamber golf tournament, as well as serving on many different committees throughout the years. The banquet also included membership services awards, ambassador awards and a special recognition award was presented to Jerry Walters. Senator Tommy Williams presented outgoing chairman Dr. Guy Sconzo with a gavel made out of genuine Texas pecan before Sconzo could introduce the 2007 chariman of the board, Bob Roy, of CenterPoint Energy. "It has been a wonderful year. I just want to thank all of you for really giving me the honor to serve the community this past year. It's really been an amazing experience," said Sconzo. "When you know you're going to be the chair for the upcoming year, you tend to pay attention to the one who is in front of you," said Roy. "It's been a very uplifting experience to watch Dr. Guy Sconzo work this past year. You'll never find a more encouraging, more positive, more directive style of leadership than Dr. Guy Sconzo. You have been a tremendous example to me. If I can be half of what you were, then I'll be very happy." Dinner was catered by Hasta la Pasta and the evening included a silent and live auction to benefit the chamber. Some of the live auction items included a 16-inch solver with gold accents necklace donated by Thomas Markle Jewlers, two coach round trip airline tickets donated by Continental Airlines, a back porch dinner for 6 at the award-winning home of Carl and Colene Joiner, wine dinner for 10 donated by Hasta la Pasta and two Lasik Eye Surgery packages donated by Berkley Eye Center and Dr. Brent McQueen. Photo: Bill Shank, left, was presented with the Haden McKay Citizen of the Year award for 2006 by the 2005 recipient, Larry Shiflet. The award is given out each year to individuals who have made a contribution to the community.

Comments (0)

There are no comments posted here yet

Leave your comments

1. Posting comment as a guest. Sign up or login to your account.
Attachments (0 / 3)
Share Your Location