The Texas Knights 9U select baseball team won the Fall Select League End-of-Season Tournament at the Northwest Baseball Association complex. The Knights are made up of boys from Summerwood, Atascocita, Humble, Kingwood, Conroe and New Caney. From left to right: DJ Taylor, Dre Duplantier, Vic Hernandez, Tyler Scataglia, Hunter Draper, Travis McGlaun, Trey Leyba, Brandon Hicks, Andrew Prado, Cole Garcia, and Kacey McCoy; Coaches: Tony Scataglia, Lovie Garcia and Charlie Garcia
Kingwood High School students Kristen Deerhake and Brien Fricke win their mixed doubles match against Deer Park High School.
Intensity was in the air at Galena Park Stadium before the match-up between the Eagles and the Lobos started, and that same intensity transferred onto the gridiron from the first kick off. The first quarter ended 7-7 with Mark Cole of the Lobos scoring from the three yard-line and kicker Joe Grande adding the extra point with five minutes on the clock. The Eagles answered back with just under two minutes remaining on a Kent Brooks one-yard dive, followed by Pablo Beltran slicing the posts in the middle. A high-impact second quarter evolved into a lead-changing game as 35 points were scored before half time. For Atascocita, Brooks found the end zone twice, while running back Joseph Epps found pay dirt on a powerful drive from the five-yard line. Beltran confirmed each TD’s extra point, which became a critical role in the game’s outcome. Lobos’ receiver Jafus Gaines tested the Eagles’ defensive backs and caught a 71-yard pass from Andre Kelly. However, Chavez’s extra point went wide, causing them to become more strategic when planning their next attack for the goal line. Cole scored on a 6-yard dash and the Lobos executed their 2-point conversion with a Gains’ reception from Kelly. At the end of half, Atascocita was leading 28-21. The third quarter did not produce many points. Chavez was able cross the goal line with 6:27 left to play on a 4-yard run. The two-point conversion was added by another pass from Kelly to Charles Allison, giving the Lobos a one-point lead. In the fourth quarter, Atascocita struck first as running back Jarvis Neal powered the ball in from the two-yard line. The extra point kick was not successful but the Eagles were still on top with a 34-29 lead with three minutes remaining. Chavez did not waste time and replied with a touchdown by Cole, followed with a successful two-point conversion. The Eagles were forced to work the clock, and did so with precision. With 1:17 on the clock and good field position from the kick-off return, quarterback Chazz Carrington led his team into battle by completing a pair of passes to Freddie Blow which put the Eagles in field goal range. Beltran took his place behind holder Jake George and redeemed himself with a 36-yard kick that tied the game at 37 while time expired. The Lobos were first to handle the ball in overtime, however the Eagles defense, which is often criticized for being too small, played with big hearts and even bigger character by holding the Lobos scoreless as defensive back Jeremy Coleman intercepted Kelly’s pass in the end zone on their final play. The Eagles started their possession on the 25-five yard line and took only one play to end the game. Neal exploded through a massive hole made by the offensive line and crossed the goal line untouched to give Atascocita a 43-37 win over Chavez. “First of all, I want to thank the Lord above who blessed these guys and gave them the strength and endurance to succeed in tonight’s game,” said head coach Dean Colbert. “Chavez played very well and honestly play better in person then their films show, but for now we are very proud of our team’s win and plan to get back to work to face our next opponent.” Atascocita moves onto their second play-off game against Katy or Stratford, depending on who wins their game on Saturday. Photo: Running back Jarvis Neal explodes through large hole and scores game winning TD in over-time. Photo by David Stuhlmiller
The Huffman Falcons traveled to Stallworth Stadium in Baytown Saturday evening to face a familiar foe, the Silsbee Tigers. The Falcons lost to Silsbee last year in the first round of the playoffs at Sam Houston State. Silsbee was favored to win by 14 points with their standout Jeremy Johnson at quarterback. Johnson has committed to a scholarship to play Division 1 football at University of West Virginia. The Tigers jumped out to an early lead scoring two touchdowns in the first quarter, the first on an 11-yard run by Chris Barnes and the second on a 30-yard pass from Johnson to Pheal Hill. The conversions failed for both TD’s and Silsbee led 12-0 with six minutes left in the first quarter. The Falcons answered back with a score of their own on a 15-yard run by QB Cole DeBerry. Dezi Tchussen added the extra point making the score 12-7, Tigers. The game was still very close as the second quarter started, Silsbee struck pay dirt with just 1:16 gone in the quarter on a 10-yard run by Johnson; Caleb Henry tacked on the extra point. Two minutes later, Huffman answered as DeBerry hooked up with Joel Witwer for a 19-yard TD pass, Tchussen added the extra point. But the Tigers put an end to the back and forth with three unanswered scores before the halftime break. Silsbee ended a long drive with a one-yard run by Rahkeem Bolton with 5:30 left in the second. On the first play from scrimmage, a DeBerry pass was defected and intercepted on the Falcon seven-yard line. Barnes scored for the Tigers on a 6-yard run and the kick was good. The third Silsbee score came with two minutes left in the first half. Huffman was on the Tiger seven-yard line and DeBerry’s intended pass to Witwer in the flat was picked off by Jarrian Rhone, who promptly scampered 93 yards for the touchdown. Henry added the extra point and as the teams left the field for halftime, Silsbee had a commanding lead of 40-14. The Falcons put up a valiant effort in the second half to out score the Tigers but it would prove not enough to overcome their first half deficit. DeBerry would find Casey Martin for two touchdown passes in the third. Kade Hardy ran in the two-point conversion on the first and Tchussen’s kick graced the second with the extra point. Bolton scored for Silsbee on a 1-yard run bringing the score to 47-29 to end the third. Silsbee scored on a 32-yard pass from Johnson in the fourth and Henry added the extra point. Huffman earned another touchdown on a 12-yard pass from DeBerry to Witwer in the corner of the end zone. The final score for the game was 54-35 ending the season for the Falcons. Huffman finished the year at 5-6 but will only lose a few of their starters and many of their standouts will return for next year. Cole DeBerry, Joel Witwer and Casey Martin will all return. DeBerry threw 2,466 yards, 30 TD’s and 239 yards rushing this season. Witwer, who has been nominated for Channel 55’s defensive player of the year, managed 1,155 yards in the air, 145 yards on the ground, 18 touchdowns and 8 defensive interceptions. Martin 879 reception yards, 195 yards on the ground and 12 touchdowns. Photo: Cole DeBerry takes flight for extra yards in Saturday’s playoff game against Silsbee.
The final game ever played at old Turner Stadium will not hold fond memories for the Kingwood Mustangs. However, it’s a game that Atascocita won’t soon forget. The Eagles turned back Kingwood 31-7 on Friday in the final game played at the stadium. In doing so, Atascocita improved to 9-1 for the season and won its first district championship in the program’s two-year history. The Eagles finished atop the District 19-5A standings at 5-1. Kingwood finished the regular season with an even mark at 5-5 overall and 3-3 in district play. It looked from the outset that the Mustangs would bid a fond farewell. Michael Schrang scored on a 3-yard touchdown run late in the first quarter and a Mitch Glander PAT kick gave Kingwood a 7-3 lead. Schrang rushed for a game-high 106 yards on 14 carries. But four turnovers would swing the momentum in Atascocita’s direction. Jeremy Coleman returned one Kingwood fumble 9 yards for a touchdown to open the second-half scoring, which was all the Eagles’ doing. Atascocita took the lead for good just before halftime on a 7-yard touchdown pass from Earnest Carrington to Quentin Parks. The late score allowed Atascocita to enjoy a 10-7 halftime edge. Carrington completed seven of 11 passes for 84 yards. He threw three times for 70 yards to Everett Pleasant, who also recovered a muffed punt to set up the go-ahead touchdown late in the first half. The Eagles tacked on fourth-quarter touchdown runs of 15 and 2 yards from Kent Brooks and Kyle Tate. The loss by Kingwood left its playoff fate in the hands of Humble, who lost on Saturday to Nimitz, putting Kingwood in the post-season. Photo: Kingwood defense stopping an Atascocita drive. Photo by David Stuhlmiller
After winning the 100-yard freestyle, Mustang senior Matt Barber acknowledges a close race with a hand shake for his Southlake Carroll opponent. The Kingwood High School varsity swimming and diving team beat the Atascocita Eagles and the Southlake Carroll Dragons on Nov. 6, at a tournament hosted by Kingwood.